The Reading section of the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) is a great test of your English reading ability.
This section of the PTE exam will take about 32-41 minutes and is often given preference after the first section.
Your English reading skills are tested through the following question types:
- Multiple choice questions with a single answer
- Multiple choice questions with multiple answers
- Re-ordering of paragraphs
- Fill in the blanks: Reading
- Fill in the blanks: Reading and Writing
Interested in coaching and assistance with your preparation for the PTE? Give us a call on 02 8628 7293, fill out our contact form or come into one of our offices!
In this section, you will be tested on your reading skills. Basic reading skills include:
- Vocabulary, mostly tested in the Fill in the blanks: Reading and the Fill in the blanks: Reading and Writing part of the exam parts.
- Fluency; and
- Comprehension, mostly tested in the Multiple choice questions with a single answer, Multiple choice questions with multiple answers, and Re-ordering of paragraphs.
A good amount of practice in reading is the best way to prepare for this section of the exam. When it comes to the PTE Reading section, the more successful candidates will be able to:
- Understand the structure of spoken words
- Understand the difference between connotation and denotation
- Understand words and phrases appropriate to the context
- Classify and categorize explicit and implicit information
- Infer the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Comprehend and repair misunderstandings and
- Obtain meaning from the text
To best prepare, practice is very important. Read material and note any unfamiliar words, making sure you understand what a word or expression refers to.
This section is divided into five parts. It should take you between 30 and 40 minutes for you to complete this section.
Time management is important for candidates who wish to achieve higher marks. For this reason, you should complete the English Wise mock exam a couple of times at least before the real thing, so you can become familiar with how long it takes to complete this and each section.
Practising these questions provided will not only benefit you in exam preparation, but will also help you anticipate what will be tested. If you want the best chance of being well prepared and getting the highest scores, you should join our PTE preparation course .
The PTE Reading section is the easiest of the three and can be done well easily with some practise. Remember to focus on reading and understanding the questions carefully and you should do well!
Let us help you with the Reading section of the PTE exam! Give us a call on 02 8628 7293, fill out our contact form or come into one of our offices to find out more about our classes and exam preparation programs!